DPO Australia is attending the 10th Session of the Conference of States Parties (COSP) to the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (CRPD). COSP runs from 13th to 15th June 2017 at the United Nations Headquarters in New York.
The annual conference invites delegates from signatories to the UN CRPD and representatives from civil society organisations and Governments around the world to discuss implementation of the CRPD and related international development issues. The theme of this years COSP is “The Second Decade of the CRPD: Inclusion and full participation of persons with disabilities and their representative organizations in the implementation of the Convention” and includes three subthemes:
- Addressing the impact of multiple discrimination on persons with disabilities and promoting their participation and multi-stakeholder partnerships for achieving the SDGs in line with the CRPD;
- Inclusion and full participation of persons with disabilities in humanitarian action;
- Promoting inclusive urban development and implementation of the New Urban Agenda – Habitat III.
The delegation is travelling with representatives from the Australian Government and a range of civil society and disability representatives. The People With Disability Australia / DPO Australia delegation includes:
- Therese Sands, Director of Disabled People’s Organisations Australia
- Samantha French, People with Disability Australia / Pacific Disability Forum
- Ace Boncato, National Ethnic Disability Alliance
The delegation will undertake significant work at COSP CRPD, including hosting and co-hosting side events; attending and participating in pre-arranged high-level meetings; speaking at a range of side events being hosted and co-hosted by Governments, international organisations and civil society; as well as networking and stakeholder engagement. People with Disability Australia and DPO Australia will be hosting two side events at the conference:
- A screening of the film, Defiant Lives: The Rise and Triumph of the Disability Rights Movement, which will be co-presented with the film’s writer and director, Sarah Barton [Download flyer DOC | PDF]
- A session entitled ‘The Role of Disabled People’s Organisations in Developing Practical Approaches to Disaster Risk Management in the Asia-Pacific Region’ [Download flyer DOC | PDF]
The delegation look forward to working our civil society colleagues and Government representatives to further the rights of all people with disability.